This post is also available in: Français (French)
No one likes cleaning the bathroom, but by keeping up with it, the job becomes much less painful. Read on for some tips inefficiency in keeping your surfaces, walls, floor, shower, and toilet sparkling clean.
Remove all the items that don’t belong in your bathroom
Take out everything that doesn’t belong, such as clothes, cups, and trash. Also, move out any little side tables or movable storage cabinets so that you can clean under them.
Pour some bleach or another disinfectant into the toilet bowl. Put the toilet brush inside the bowl, helping to sanitize the brush for cleaning.
- Make sure the door is open and the fan is on to ensure proper ventilation.
- For a green alternative, mix a tablespoon of baking powder into about a quart of 75/25 mix of white vinegar and water.
In general, when cleaning any room, start from the top down. Clean cobwebs in the corners of the bathroom, and brush other dust and dirt directly onto the floor to sweep up later. A duster works great for this, but you can also use the broom.
- If you’ve got delicate wallpaper, wrap the bristles in some toilet paper or paper towel and slightly wet it too.
Apply any scrub powder to especially dirty areas
If you’ve got lime and build-up in the tub, sink, or around faucets, damp those areas slightly and sprinkle with scrubbing powder like Comet. Letting it sit for 10-15 minutes while you do other things will help to work lose the dirty patches and make your scrubbing go much more smoothly.
- Be sure to read the label and ensure that you’re using an appropriate product and won’t damage your surfaces. Test it out on a non-visible spot before you actually use it.
Clean the walls, windows and/or ceiling
If you have mold on the ceiling start with spraying a water bleach/disinfectant solution on it and let it rest for a couple of minutes, do the same with the walls ( if they are tiles) or use another cleaning product.
- It’s a good idea to wear rubber gloves while you’re scrubbing, to keep your hands from drying out if you’re using harsh products.
Clean the mirror
Use cleaner, rinse it and wipe the excess water off with a towel or squeegee. To add a shine to your mirror add a bit vinegar to the water. if just cleaning with water wipe with a towel after.